Saturday, October 27, 2007

1633


There are numerous ways that Suzy and I try to maintain a harmonious marriage. Some work better than others. I know that Suzy needs to have a specific type of cheese in order to make nachos. Not shredded. Not a block. Only the cheese that comes in a soup can will do. We spent a LONG time wandering around our grocery store early on in our marriage, me wondering what was going on, and Suzy looking for the cheese. After much anger, borderline tears, and some stomping later, we stumbled upon the cheese, and she was happy.
One of my quirks is that I am not allowed to read books by Harry Turtledove. I like the idea behind most of his books (historical novels, but something happens to change history, the genre is called alternative history), but not the execution. They always end up frustrating me.
So one day while in Mysterious Galaxy I stumbled upon 1812, a book about the War of 1812, with some alterations to history. The idea was there, the execution was there, and it ended up being a pretty good book. Boy, was I excited. Nothing like finding a new option for picking up books. Especially an option with plenty of choices out there for you to catch up on. So 1812 lead me to try 1632, which plops a region of modern day West Virginia into 1632 Germany, smack in the middle of the 30 Years war. Again, interesting idea, good execution.
I went to the well again while in Mysterious Galaxy by picking up 1633. We pick up the story again of how these hillbillies from West Virginia deal with the life and times of war torn Europe. The premise of the book is obviously ridiculous, some kind of time warp grabbing a big ring of West Virginia and flinging it back in time. But, as long as you can suspend your disbelief of that premise the rest of the series covers what would happen next. Local coal miner Mike Stearns leads the formation of new country in central Europe called the United States. Using what weapons and technology that came with them the intrepid hillbillies defend themselves, protect the innocent peasants and introduce the ideals of modern day democracy to monarch dominated Europe. A good read for me, I gave it 3 and a half stars and am looking forward reading the next in the series, strangely named, 1634.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home