Thursday, February 16, 2006

A Funny Name for a Chair

Daniel has been doing this thing recently where when you tell him the name of something, he responds, "That's a funny name, isn't it dada?" It could be the name Frank, or Betty, or anything. The response is almost always the same. The other day when he asked me what I was reading and I told him, The Dragonbone Chair, he kind of did a double take (as much as a four year old can) and really delivered his patented line, "That's a funny name for a chair!" I would have to agree.
The book itself was pretty good. When I think about it after the fact it was kind of formulaic, but it was a formula that I like. Impending doom on the land by a unseen, magical menace. Hope comes only from a ragtag band of 'heroes'. One of the refreshing elements that I enjoyed in this book was the frailties of the heroes, mostly the central character is just a young teenage boy who is certainly full of normal teenage behaivor. The others in his party have no special powers as yet, just normal people/creatures thrown into crazy circumstances. Another interesting aspect of the book is the race relations, many of the humans just don't like the 'trolls', not for any rational reasons, they just like their 'kind'. My main reason for liking this book is pure fun. A few people wandering around having an adventure. My kind of book. The second book in the series has already been added to my Amazon wish list, but I can't buy it yet because I have a bit of a backlog! Three and a half stars for the book with a funny name for a chair.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home